Change Is Good
The Change Is Good Fundraising Program
For over 75 years, The Niskayuna Co-op has been actively involved in our community by developing relationships that make a positive difference, giving back where help is needed, and contributing to a uniquely local experience.
Our newly introduced Change Is Good Fundraising Program is a way for customers to participate in this commitment while allowing us to provide support to local organizations in need. Change Is Good rounds up a Member or customer’s purchase to the nearest dollar for recipient organizations that share our commitment to a healthy community.
At the end of each month, all proceeds from the program are presented to the featured organization in the form of credit to be used at the Niskayuna Co-op. This program not only benefits recipient organizations but also strengthens the Niskayuna Co-op’s position as a valued and necessary community cornerstone.
How Does It Work
Our Front End clerks at the Niskayuna Co-op ask members and customers if they would like to round each transaction up to the next even dollar. The difference between the original purchase and the rounded up amount is donated to our partner organization in the form of credit to be used at the Niskayuna Co-op. For example, if a purchase is $9.75, a Co-op clerk would ask the customer if they wanted to round up to $10.00. The remaining 25¢ would be donated to the partner organization. These small donations can add up to a major donation over the course of a month!
Priority will be given to organizations that:
- Are based in the communities served by the Niskayuna Co-op.
- Use this funding for work related to food justice and/or providing health, food or nutrition services to those in need.
- Use this funding for specific projects rather than general operating costs.
- Are nonpartisan and do not advocate a particular political affiliation.
- Are registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations.
How to Apply:
The Change is Good Fundraising Program recipient application has two parts: .
- Part I includes written information that may be emailed
- Part II is an online form. All applicants must submit BOTH the written submission (Part I) AND the on-line form (Part II) in order to be considered
Narrative: Please provide a separate narrative (no more than two pages) including the following:
- Information about your organization and its mission.
- Specific information about how the Round-Up funds will be used.
- Please include your 501(c)(3) certification.
- Applicants may also include no more than one piece of supplemental information (brochure, flyer, annual report, etc.) with the written materials.
- Submit the above information in-store or via email to our Marketing Manager and Outreach Coordinator, Bill Gathen, at marketing at niskayunacoop.com
The Following is Required of all Change Is Good Recipients:
- 100-200 postcards or fliers with information about your organization and how the funds will be used.
- 2-3 high-resolution photos representing your work
- One half-hour information session with our Marketing Manager and Front End Manager in the month prior to your featured month
- Minimum one 3-hour shift tabling at our store during your Round-Up month.
All contributions received during the recipient organization’s featured month will be donated to that organization in the form of store credit to be used at the Niskayuna Co-op. Cart totals cannot exceed $250 per day unless previously arranged through a Niskayuna Co-op Manager. Store credit does not accrue interest nor is it redeemable for cash or Gift Cards. Each organization must provide the Niskayuna Co-op with a list of individuals authorized to spend against the Round-up total. All Round-up funds must be used within 12-months of receiving them.