Change Is Good Fundraising Program
For over 75 years, the Niskayuna Co-op has been actively involved in our community by developing relationships that make a positive difference, giving back where help is needed, and contributing to a uniquely local experience.
Our Change Is Good fundraising program is a way for customers to participate in this commitment while allowing us to provide support to local organizations in need. Change Is Good rounds up a customer’s purchase to the nearest dollar for recipient organizations that share our commitment to a healthy community. Want to give more? Donation values of your choosing can also be accepted.
At the end of each quarter, all proceeds from the program are presented to the featured organization in the form of credit to be used at the Niskayuna Co-op. This program not only benefits recipient organizations but also strengthens the Niskayuna Co-op’s position as a valued and necessary community cornerstone.
How does it work
Our cashiers ask customers if they would like to round their transaction up to the next even dollar. The difference between the original purchase and the rounded up amount is donated to our partner organization in the form of credit to be used at the Niskayuna Co-op. For example, if a purchase is $9.75, a cashier would ask the customer if they wanted to round up to $10.00. The remaining 25¢ would be donated to the partner organization. Customers can also donate more than the round up value by requesting a specific amount. These small donations can add up to a major donation over the course of a quarter!
Q4 2020 recipient
Miracle on Craig Street. A Schenectady-based non-profit, they’re a BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Color)-led organization focused on providing health and wellness programs to the local community. Our Change Is Good donation will be used for their Project Backyard initiative that educates new gardeners on how to grow their own food.
Nisky NOW (Nutrition on Weekends)
Annual Equinox Thanksgiving Day Community Dinner
Street Soldiers of Schenectady
Schenectady City Mission
Schenectady County COVID-19 Emergency Response Coalition
Who qualifies to be a partner organization?
Priority will be given to organizations that:
- Are based in the communities served by the Niskayuna Co-op
- Use this funding for work related to food justice and/or providing health, food or nutrition services to those in need
- Use this funding for specific projects rather than general operating costs
- Are nonpartisan and do not advocate a particular political affiliation
- Are registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations
How to apply
All required fields must be completed in order to be considered. Be prepared to provide supporting materials, including:
- Your organization’s 501(c)3 certification
- If available, a piece of supplemental information (brochure, flyer, annual report, etc.)
The following is required of all Change Is Good recipients
- 100-200 postcards or fliers with information about your organization and how the funds will be used
- 2-3 high-resolution photos representing your work for potential use on our social media channels
- Minimum one 3-hour shift tabling at our store during your Round-Up quarter
All contributions received during the recipient organization’s featured quarter will be donated to that organization in the form of store credit to be used at the Niskayuna Co-op. Cart totals cannot exceed $250 per day unless previously arranged through the Niskayuna Co-op general manager. Store credit does not accrue interest nor is it redeemable for cash or gift cards. Each organization must provide the Niskayuna Co-op with a list of individuals authorized to spend against the round-up total. All round-up funds must be used within 12 months of receiving them.