- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped garlic scapes*
- Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- A few generous grinds of black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
* Or use half scapes and half herbs such as
basil, dill and chervil*
- In a small, dry pan set over very low heat, lightly toast the pine nuts, stirring or tossing occasionally until just beginning to brown, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Combine the scapes, pine nuts, lemon juice and zest, salt, and pepper in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Pulse about 20 times, until fairly well combined.
- Pour in the olive oil slowly through the feed tube while the motor is running.
- When the oil is incorporated, transfer the pesto to a bowl and stir in the grated cheese.
*If you plan to freeze the pesto, wait to add the cheese until after you’ve defrosted it.*
Contributed by Carloyn Cope, The Crisper Whisperer