Niskayuna Co-op incorporated in March 1943. In 1947 we moved to our current location.
The store expanded three times to accommodate increased demand, add a second-story stockroom and a German deli/restaurant (1962). In the early 1960s the co-op was one of the top producing in the USA.
Longtime general manager, Stan Lee, retires in 1964. Years of mismanagement ensue and continue through the early 1970's. In 1968 we undertook a major renovation.
By 1973 the Board wanted to sell the co-op for $250,000. In 1973 long-time Board secretary Betty Mathis along with the new Board saved the co-op by not selling out. A new Board was established including Bill Williams, Al Fink and others determined to save the co-op.
The restaurant was discontinued and replaced with a snack bar. In November the first Open House was held and continues to this day.
In 1982 the Mt. Pleasant Co-op was established and operated. It closed in 1986. In 1984 the new entranceway was expanded to add an additional cash register and abate a flooding issue.
A nearby grocery store (Grand Union) closes, resulting in a 40% increase in sales. In 2003 the entire co-op was remodeled. This $1,250,000 project resulted in a totally new façade, floors, ceiling, lighting, wall décor, fixtures, and equipment. Steady growth continues. High quality food, meat/deli is the focus.
More remodeling. In 2011: $200,000 project includes a new roof, insulating the building, a new furnace and two new vent fans. In 2012: $400,000 investment to remodel and upgrade the interior, floors, décor and signage.
We’re an independent store owned by our shoppers, offering a huge selection of organic, gourmet, and locally made specialty items next to a complete range of your favorite national brand products.